Dental implants were designed and developed to look just like your natural teeth. More importantly, they are designed to replicate the aesthetics and function of your natural teeth as closely as possible. It follows then that the greatest benefit of getting dental implants is that they can be cleaned and used just like your real teeth. When you consider that other dental restorative prosthetics must be removed in order to be cleaned, dental implants clearly have the advantage.
It is normal for the patient to experience slight bleeding and some swelling as well as some discomfort after your dental implants are in place. During that time, your dentist or oral surgeon will prescribe mild painkillers to help you cope with any pain that you might be experiencing. At Island Dental Associates, we recommend you follow these steps:
- Do not brush your “new” teeth the first 3 or 4 days after the procedure has been completed – they’re going to be somewhat sensitive so brushing could actually be painful. However, you may be given a special mouthwash to use.
- Brush your dental implants just like your natural teeth – you should do this after every meal or snack once the sensitivity has passed.
- Use a special toothbrush to clean the abutments, including the area behind them – a smaller toothbrush with a bent handle is recommended for easier cleaning of these areas.
- Floss like you normally would once the healing period is completed – we recommend that you floss after every meal or snack. Make sure that you floss the abutments from the back and the front.
- Additional dentist cleanings are recommended – you may need to do this up to 4 times annually in order to keep your implants in top condition.
- In addition to regular cleanings, you may need X-rays done as well – although dental implants are designed to be long-lasting, they are not immune to the same wear and tear that your natural teeth are.
As you can see, living with your dental implants and caring for them is just like the care and maintenance of your natural teeth. Island Dental Associates has been providing our patients with perfect smiles for over 20 years. If you are tired of hiding your smile because of missing teeth, we recommend that you consult with one of our professional staff members today. Call us today to schedule an appointment for an evaluation of your teeth and to start restoring your smile immediately.
Posted in: dental implant information