Of all the different alternatives currently available for the replacement of missing teeth, we feel that dental implants are by far the most advantageous solution. Prior to the introduction of implants into the dental industry, the only solution was bridges or dentures. So what is it that makes implants the better choice compared to bridges or full and partial dentures? A brief comparison is in order.
- Without a doubt, bridges and dentures are a proven and time-tested technology – after the adjustment period, they usually function adequately for the person wearing them. Plus, they are relatively inexpensive compared to implants.
- Unfortunately, there a number of issues that must be addressed over time – as they are being used, pressure is applied. Eventually, this can lead to bone loss, discomfort, loss of function, and slippage. Over time, they will need to be relined periodically and in some cases, total replacement may be required.
Most importantly, these issues can eventually lead to a loss of self-confidence and lowered self-esteem. This is not the case with dental implants as there are numerous advantages to be aware of including the following:
- Implants are extremely durable – good dental hygiene habits (brushing and flossing after every meal) is all that is required in order for your implants to last for years to come
- Implants are fused with the jawbone – this helps to prevent losing bone mass and density
- Implants are very reliable – success rates of up to 95% are common
- Implants do not damage the surrounding teeth or compromise your oral health – not so where bridges and full or partial dentures are concerned
- Implants feel, function, and look just like your own teeth – you can enjoy biting, chewing, smiling, and speaking without worrying about slipping dentures
The only noticeable disadvantage to getting implants, it is their initial cost. However, it is important to remember that you are investing in your teeth as well as function and value. When you look at the cost from the standpoint of longevity and quality, you can easily see why dental implants are the ideal solution for the replacement of missing teeth.
If you’ve grown tired of the embarrassment that smiling causes you, Island Dental Associates can show you how getting dental implants will help you to restore your smile and your self-confidence. Stop hiding your smile and contact us today to schedule an appointment for evaluation. We can determine the best course of action for your particular situation.
Posted in: dental implant information